LabVIEW is an irrelevant programming language

Posted on Wednesday 30 May 2007

In this blog article, Mike Hendrickson discusses the state of the computer book market through an analysis of the number of book sales and available titles for different programming languages. According to the report, LabVIEW is categorized as “irrelevant” (with respect to book sales) — I’m not sure how valid his data collection and analysis techniques are (probably producing results that are relevant, only in a very narrow focus).

Still, it’s nice to see LabVIEW on the radar. LabVIEW is showing up on other radars, too, such as the TIOBE index, where it is currently ranked #34.

Want to help LabVIEW become more relevant in the computer book market? Why not buy a good LabVIEW book :)

7 Comments for 'LabVIEW is an irrelevant programming language'

May 30, 2007 | 3:35 am

Yes, LV is irrelevant for most programmers and IMO it’s because of one important reason: you have to buy it (and it’s not inexpensive)! If there were free alternatives (at least with the basic language features) I could image a wider use of G/LV.

And another thing is that you’re stuck to one company and one IDE if you decide to use LV. For most programming languages you can switch IDE if the development isn’t as you like it (depending on the features you used it might not be easy, though)…

May 30, 2007 | 7:02 am

Irrelevant… hmm… thousands of our products that were tested with LabVIEW, software applications for system monitoring written in LabVIEW, literally millions of products touched in some way by LabVIEW…. but that is *cough* irrelevant…
    I guess he did at least mention LabVIEW. I still think it is “G Envy”

crelf
    May 30, 2007 | 9:32 am

Basing a language’s popularity on book sales is poor science at best, manipulative at worst.

otman
    June 1, 2007 | 10:31 pm

comparing labview to text-based languages like java is like comparing apples to oranges. labview greatest strength is in the test and measurement field for which it was originally designed. as with every great tool though, engineers have found many uses beyond its traditional use. my two cents.

June 5, 2007 | 12:12 am

Hello All: I’ve just written a short article about my weekend as a text-based (PHP) programmer. Boy, am I glad I’m not coding in a “relevant” programming language every day. :p

June 16, 2007 | 8:23 pm

The lower number of book sales is perhaps a testament to LabVIEW’s superior ease-of-use and to a lesser extent, the quality of NI’s own documentation. I have dozens of books on text-based programming languages — languages I don’t routinely use — and only 4 on LabVIEW (not including my own). In fact, I had been using LabVIEW professionally for more than 6 months before I hit the wall and picked up Gary Johnson’s original LabVIEW book.

Good software is self-evident. Users can learn through exploration and trial-and-error. LabVIEW is built for simple trial-and-error. After almost 10 years of wire-working, I still find myself wiring up a simple test VI to refresh my memory as to the operation of an infrequently used function. This isn’t to suggest I haven’t learned valuable tips and insights from the LabVIEW books I HAVE purchased. However, in most cases, the tool provides the answers.

June 17, 2007 | 1:31 pm

Dave,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s interesting to here another author’s opinion on this subject.

> In my experience, no IDE for any of the apparently “relevant” languages even comes close! Irrelevant, or just superior design? You tell me… :-)

I’d say, it’s the latter (although, I’m biased) ;-)

Cheers,