LabVIEW for Everyone… even 10 year old wiz kids

Posted on Tuesday 11 September 2007

Samuel Majors, his father, and Ray Almgren at NIWeek 2007 Keynote

One of the stars of NIWeek 2007 was a 10 year old wiz kid named Samuel Majors, who is using LabVIEW to automate his model train sets. Samuel was featured during a part of the keynote on Thursday, August 9th titled "Future Scientists and Engineers" (see keynote video here). He is a very bright, passionate, and articulate young person who is exploring the fun of building things that work.

After seeing Samuel speak on stage and watching his story during the keynote presentation, I felt very emotional -- it was inspiring that LabVIEW was having such a positive effect on this young person, enabling him to learn, be creative, and work towards his dreams. His story made me think about how I used to play with my model train set when I was 10 years old and how much I learned from the experience (e.g., the difference between AC and DC electrical voltage and how a variable power supply could deliver power to control the speed of the train's motor). Of course, when I was 10 years old, back in 1986, LabVIEW had barely been invented.

After the inspiring keynote presentation, someone came up to me and told me that Samuel wanted to meet me!  I was told that Samuel was answering questions after the keynote, and when asked how he had learned LabVIEW, said that he had read LabVIEW for Everyone (which I co-authored) and that it was his favorite LabVIEW book!!!  I could barely believe it. (but, fortunately there is video to prove it)

I quickly went over to where Samuel was answering questions to large group of people, and, after making my way through the crowd, introduced myself to him.  He responded with a huge smile, we chatted for a several minutes about LabVIEW, and, to top it all off, he took a photo with me (below).

Samuel Majors showing his copy of LabVIEW for Everyone with Jim Kring at NIWeek 2007

This was without a doubt one of the proudest moments of my life and surpassed any other recognition that I could possibly receive for my work on the book. The fact that "LabVIEW for Everyone" can help a 10 year old learn LabVIEW means a lot, especially to me.

External Links

12 Comments for 'LabVIEW for Everyone… even 10 year old wiz kids'

Molly K
    September 12, 2007 | 3:30 am

Jim – this is such a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Yen
    September 12, 2007 | 6:19 am

Molly, good to see you’re still around!

I was at NIWeek this year, and it’s unfortunate you weren’t around there. It would have been great to meet you.

tst.

September 12, 2007 | 6:33 am

Hi Molly! It’s great to hear from you :)

Sandeep Dedage
    September 19, 2007 | 10:39 pm

Hi Jim,

Seeing Samuel on the stage was a nice feeling & Very very happy to know that he has had a ‘Jim Kring’ touch !
    Wonderful, thanks for sharing !

Rosie Abriam
    September 20, 2007 | 4:16 pm

I was soooo bummed to miss NI Week this year. However, this story really captures the essence of what it’s all about — Neat Applications, Cool Solutions and GREAT Relationship Building.

Excellent !

Jon Cox
    June 25, 2008 | 12:39 pm

Hah…Sam is a superfluously ingenious kid, he was in my Freshman Honors Science course and excelled at a rate no one else did ^_^

June 25, 2008 | 1:18 pm

Jon: It must be great getting to teach smart, passionate kids like Samuel! On that note, we (JKI) are going to try to get more involved in the FIRST competitions, now that they are using LabVIEW :) I’m going to go to a meeting on Sat to meet some kids on a local team and talk with them about LabVIEW.

September 16, 2008 | 4:27 pm

Hi Jim,

Congratulations for your partitipation on LabVIEW for Everyone, right now I use the book as a reference for my master work.

Here in Mexico I’m part of an institution for kids and teenagers called hitech INGENIUM, we promote robotics concepts with great results. We actually use programs included into the didactic robots, but we’ve started the migration to LabVIEW. We have around 80 students and we are looking to create our mexican leage using LabVIEW.

Please let me know if you have plans to visit Mexico, we are located in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.

Best regards,
    Abraham

Web site:

September 16, 2008 | 5:03 pm

Hi Abraham,

Thank you very much for the kind words :)

I’m happy to hear that you are finding the book useful in your work and in helping young people learn about technology. I will certainly let you know if I find myself in your part of the world — thanks for the invitation!

-Jim

Phillip Beooks
    July 19, 2015 | 11:27 am

Looks like Samuel is off to MIT!

Pat Majors
    June 17, 2016 | 5:59 pm

… and Samuel took one of his two copies of LabVIEW for Everyone with him to MIT… the copy signed by Jim, I believe. Thanks again Jim.

August 9, 2016 | 1:31 pm

Hi Pat! That’s great to hear. We’re all so excited to see Samuel developing as an engineer :-)