My NIWeek 2009 Schedule

Posted on Friday 31 July 2009

I’ve been so busy getting ready for NIWeek, that I haven’t had time to post my NIWeek schedule.  If you’re coming, I hope to see you there.  Please do find me and say “hi”.

This is still a work-in progress but, here it is:

JKI’s Schedule

First, you should check out the JKI NIWeek 2009 schedule — my schedule is mostly a subset of the JKI schedule, but I’ll give you more details, here:

JKI Booth (#335) - my Home Base

Every year the JKI Booth is a hub of LabVIEW discussions, community comradery, and (of course) demos of cool JKI Software tools.  And, this is where I’ll be spending most of my time.  This year, we got a 50″ plasma to use as our demo computer display and will be showing off all kinds of cool stuff.  Come visit the booth and we’ll blow your mind with never-before-seen JKI Right-Click Framework plugins.  Have questions about LabVIEW 2009 features, scripting, LVOOP, or other advanced topics?  Bring them to our booth — someone will be there and very happy to talk shop with you.

My Presentation – Wednesday from 10:30 AM-11:30 AM in Room 16B

I’ll be giving a presentation on — yep, you guessed it — code reuse.  This time I’ll be talking about code reuse for teams and large projects, with a focus the new, soon-to-be-release VIPM Enterprise and it’s cool Networked Package Repositories feature.  I mean, it’s really cool: you build a package in VIPM and it’s available for the rest of your team to download and use from within VIPM on their computer!

Here’s the official abstract

LabVIEW Code Reuse for Teams and Large Projects
LabVIEW code reuse is a key component of team-based development, large project work, and knowledge sharing within an organization. Learn how to create a shared repository of reusable VIs and use analytics tools to report your organization’s software reuse metrics.

James Kring, President, JKI

Wednesday, August 5 10:30–11:30 a.m. Room 16B

After Hours

Random Late-Night Foosball – The JKI team loves to play foosball, and I’m sure we’ll end up on the tables of Bufallo Billiards (at some point) after the early-evening events wrap up.

Foosball

Sunday Night

• Gingerman – Pre-conference warmup at The Ginger Man. Every year, the community meets up at the Gingerman on Sunday night.  I hope that the new location (there was a fire since last year) has a nice outdoor seating area with a large capacity.

Monday Night

• 5 PM – NIWeek Kickoff Happy Hour in the expo hall.  I’ll be at/near the JKI Booth drinking beer and chatting with whoever comes by.

Tuesday Night

• 5:00 PM – NI Community Block Diagram Party in the expo hall.  Much like the previous night, I’ll be at/near the JKI Booth drinking beer and chatting with whoever comes by.
  • 8:00 PM – LAVA/OpenG NIWeek BBQ 2009 at Stubb’s BAR-B-Q.  This is really an event you don’t want to miss.  And, there are lots of great door prizes.

Wednesday Night

• 7 PM – Annual NIWeek Conference Party (The City Terrace at the Long Center). This is the BIG party.  But, I hear that a lot of NI staff-members won’t be there this year, so it won’t be quite as fun :(

LabVIEW Experts Panel – Tuesday at 12pm (Noon) in the Tech Theater (Expo Hall)

I’ve been invited to sit on a panel with other LabVIEW experts, answering questions from audience.  This should be fun.

Presentations I will Try to Attend

I haven’t completely decided which presentations I’ll attend.  I find that I get so much out of the time I spend talking to people, that it’s hard to find time to go to the presentations.  Ones that I’ve got my eye on are the following:

New Features in LabVIEW – Object-Oriented Programming
Join LabVIEW developers who know the LabVIEW basics and are interested in learning more. Discuss new development techniques and new LabVIEW features that extend the LabVIEW object-oriented programming model.

Stephen Mercer, Senior Software Engineer, National Instruments

Wednesday, August 5 4:45–5:45 p.m. Room 16B

Stephen’s presentations are always very well done: full of great technical information, enjoyable, and easy to follow.  I’m very sure that this will be standing-room only, so get there  early.

Advanced Error Handling Techniques in LabVIEW
Errors are bound to occur during software execution, and it is important for your software to help you manage them. Learn ways to handle, manage, and present those errors in a safe and controlled manner.

Brian Gapske, Systems Engineer, V I Engineering

Thursday, August 6 1:00–2:00 p.m. Room 16B

I’m curious to see how VIE’s error handling techniques compare to mine and JKI’s.  I’m sure I’ll learn something useful.  The room will probably be packed, so get there early.

Using Your VI as a Web Service in LabVIEW
Learn how to use LabVIEW Web services to publish your VIs for standard, Web-based communication and for use with thin-client HMIs.

Elijah Kerry, Product Manager, National Instruments

Thursday, August 6 1:00–2:00 p.m. Room 16B

I’ve been curious to play around more with deployable web services.  This feature doesn’t get enough love, because not enough people need/use them.  But, not many people use them because the feature is hard to use/deploy. :(

LabVIEW Graphical Scripting
Learn how to programmatically script a LabVIEW VI and examine how the LabVIEW R&D team and lead users successfully automated their code generation with this powerful tool.

Trevor Christman, Software Engineer, National Instruments

Tuesday, August 4 2:15–3:15 p.m. Room 16B

Scripting is awesome and is going to be a major undercurrent at NIWeek this year.  I want to be in the room to see and hear all the buzz.  I’m very sure that this will also be standing-room only, so get there  early.

5 Comments for 'My NIWeek 2009 Schedule'

Mark Balla
    July 31, 2009 | 4:43 pm

Correction on the Advanced Error Handling Techniques in LabVIEW NI has moved it to Thursday.

This email has been sent to notify you that Advanced Error Handling Techniques in LabVIEW has been moved to Thu, 06 Aug 1:00 PM.Your personal schedule has a conflict with this new time and you have been dropped as a registrant for this session.
    For additional questions, contact niweek@ni.com
    (888)564-9335

July 31, 2009 | 5:10 pm

Mark: Thanks for the heads-up. I’ve updated my post.

Christian
    July 31, 2009 | 6:40 pm

Looks like you;ll be spending your week in room 16B.

I assume the Advanced Error Handling Techniques in LabVIEW session is getting moved to a different room as it it the same time and place as Eli’s session.

Thanks for pointing out the scripting session.

August 1, 2009 | 9:22 am

Christian: thanks for the warning on the room — ya, it seems like 16B is the “LabVIEW room”, this year. I’ll see if I can get a room number out of Todd S.

Ron
    August 2, 2009 | 7:13 am

I wish I could be there! I know you’ll be covering areas that I need to know to be a better LabVIEW programmer. Is there any way I could a hold of the presentations? Thanks!